Monday, November 14, 2011

Pioneering

I read this on Chuck Wendig's blog. And it made me....angry.

Not because I agree with one side over the other, but because I don't think there are sides. I know people have taken sides, saying that their e-publication genitals are of superior size, girth and amazement because their path towards publication is on the yellow brick, orange brick or whatever-color-brick road.

None of this matters. Not to the consumers. Not to whatever fanbase you have (or want to build).

How someone produces their work is less important than the very binary condition of - Do I have a product available for others or not?

I'm not sure why this question doesn't come up more - I suspect it's because people find it too elementary, or too great a simplification, that somehow minimizes whatever they've done as hard work. It doesn't actually minimize the work, but people think it does.

Here's my thought, which doesn't really count as a "side" in this argument.

Isn't the point of publication (in any form) to get your story out to people who want to purchase and enjoy it?

Writers, regardless of their path towards publication, are pioneers, blazing an Oregon-esque Trail towards their own success conditions.

Don't argue about how you got on the path, WALK THE PATH. BLAZE THE TRAIL.

Be your own writing pioneer.

3 comments:

  1. I have to give you a loyal "Amen." I can't agree more and so I've decided to redouble my efforts and get several products going and finished. I think since all things end at different times, having several projects to work on is, right now, a good idea. When I can see more light at the end of one tunnel I might just jump onto that track and finish it up. You will get one of these new babies to edit, if you accept the task, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to accept, but we'll have to talk more about it.

    ReplyDelete