Monday, December 3, 2012

Post #120 - The Pay What You Want Workshop(s)

Okay, so this is a big announcement.

As I talked about on my recent Jennisodes interview, I hear two major reasons why people can't attend a workshop or class I teach:

a) It's too expensive
b) The workshops are held in places that people in other states can't get to.

Today, I'm announcing that both of those reasons are invalid. Today I announce the Pay What You Want / Pay What It's Worth series of workshops.

Here's How This Works
In a week or so, there's going to be a list of dates and a Paypal button next to each of them on this blog. If there's a date that works for you, and you want to take whatever class is offered that evening (they'll be evenings), you click the Paypal button and pay some amount of money that works for you.

That's right. You pay what you can. Sure, the sky's the limit and you can go hog wild breaking the bank, and yes, you can be a jerk and pay a dollar. But I want you to pay what you're comfortable paying. What your budget allows for. What you feel it's worth.

Once you pay, you'll need to be online that particular night, and available for a Google+ Hangout.

That's it.

The Truth
I don't want anyone to have to choose between paying for groceries or taking a workshop. I don't want my work to be a "luxury" item for people. Believe me, I'm flattered when people save their cash and splurge on coming to panels or workshops, but what I do shouldn't be limited to rare occasions. Part of the reason I do it is to give back to the community of people that helped me get to this point in the first place.

The reason why the Paypal button and the calendar isn't up already is because I'm still working on the details. But here's what I've got so far:

1. The workshops will cover (in no particular order): Game Design Writing, Simple Edits You Can Do Yourself, Character Building, and Working With An Editor. If those four do well, I'll do four more
2. I need your help to make this work! Tell your friends, share the news. I want this to be a big deal, not just some small attempt at what could be something greater. Help me make this a big damned deal.

There will be more details to come. And more conversations to be had.

We'll talk soon.

5 comments:

  1. Cool idea! I would be more than happy to contribute sessions about stuff that I know about, like Research & Sources or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im agree with you,,, nice share admin,, :)

      Delete
  2. If you have to pay up front, how do you know what the workshop will be worth to you? I would "be a jerk" and pay a dollar, then top it up afterwards depending on the value ... but I don't feel like being [called] a jerk. A nice idea, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then pay nothing, come anyway, and see how much it's worth to you.

    But I leave it to people's good judgment as to much an hour or two learning about game design or writing effective characters is worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Azaroth: you could easily make that argument about anything you pay for beforehand. Want that shiny new video game? Is it worth $50 to you? Who knows? The difference here is that you get to choose how much you think it'll be worth, rather than saying, "Well, if it's not worth $50 to me I guess I don't get it."

    ReplyDelete